Their season ended last week with a second-round loss to the Detroit Pistons - and they had no ping pong balls in last night's draft lottery - so the Orlando Magic and their fans have little to be excited about at the present moment. Nevertheless, it's not too early to begin looking to next season. What should the team do during the offseason to get better? Mike Bianchi of the Orlando Sentinel recently asked the question on his blog. Here's what I think:
1. Do not trade Hedo Turkoglu.
2. Get Tony Battie back to full strength.
3. Try to get Fran Vasquez over here.
4. Keep the core group intact and let them mature together.
5. Try to keep Maurice Evans and Keyon Dooling. Carlos Arroyo and J.J. Redick can go.
6. Draft a power forward.
7. Sign a free agent point guard.
That's it! No drastic moves (see Dallas, Phoenix.) The team as is will be better next year. Don't mess with a good thing.